Tankless water heaters are designed and built for use in heating water only when needed. It was later found that there was some little truth in the question that has been on people’s mind regarding the fact that are tankless water heaters a waste of money?
It was essential upon their introduction in the market that they take close to a gallon of water before the tank gets to heat the water. This, therefore, was associated not only with the waste of money but water too.
Here are some known facts that have been proven and tested regarding money wastage compared to their other counterparts namely:
- They came at a cost that was way higher than expected
- The tankless water heaters used a lot of gas thereby increasing electricity bills in many homes this is a fact that still needs to be confirmed as the tankless water heaters are supposed to be energy efficient
- Their performance over the years has been wanting
- Weather affects them in freezing areas thereby requiring draining and in hard water areas they tend to lime up which has been associated with their slow performance
Apart from the above which in essence is not comprehensive, their energy saving believes is not true. Their electricity use was found to be amounting to close to 5 or so watts during their operation, which in essence is still a little on the higher side. The issue of payback period was also considered when considering if in essence it was true in saying that are tankless water heaters a waste of money?
Before installation for home use, there are two factors worth considering namely:-
- Cost issue – this has been a great drawback to many home owners
- Mechanical issues – at installation, professional services are required to handle the process for smooth running and use. In essence, it is important to say that they are hard to fix
Just with any appliance, upon installation, it is imperative that purchasers or customers read between the lines. In the case of a breakdown or service, owners will need to rely on the warranty period. Never sign the dotted line without closely reading between the lines.
It is, therefore, true to say that tankless hot water heaters help save energy. But like with other appliances, they too come with their bit of problems which are as listed below:
- Repair costs are quite high this has been coupled with the lack of spares in the market
- Installation can increase its value as pipes are heavier and costlier.
Apart from the cost issue, there are still great benefits that come with tankless heaters bring which we should not forget. Saving energy and comfort enables home owners to use only water when they want it which makes the question are tankless water heaters a waste of money a hard question to answer.
The answer is simple, those intending to install a tankless water heater needs very little space to do so, installation is faster and one is insured or enough water for the home occupants. It is therefore upon them to compare available products to what their meet their needs.
Additionally, the bottom line when it comes to deciding on the cost issue a lot of things will have to be put in place. A lot of research has been done regarding the cost of the tankless heaters and people still have mixed reactions regarding:-
- Energy efficiency
- Repair issues
- Pay back costs and lastly
- Overall use
The above notwithstanding, there are great efficiencies that come with its use which is something that cannot be underrated or overlooked. It is also true that they come with a high cost. There is essentially a lot of conveniences that comes with its use but that also brings us back to understand whether it is true to say that are tankless water heaters a waste of money. The decision will be yours to decide having read and understood all the benefits that come with its use.
As a home owner, you can justify the cost depending on your preference and convenience when it comes to water heaters.